• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally found my oil....

After reading threads like this:

http://www.planetnautique.com/index....;highlight=oil

and this:
    http://www.planetnautique.com/index....;highlight=oil

as well as the other correct craft site, I settled on Valvoline, 40w oil. Having the ZDDP is crucial in there.

Choices were Rotella-T 40w, Valvoline VR1 20w50, 40w and 50w.

Given that I am in southern LA, i went with the VR-1 40w.

So i started the quest to find that oil locally. Most of the places looked at me like i was crazy. Then had two guys yelling at me telling me that I couldnt put diesel oil (Rotella 40w) in a gas engine. Typical Autozone/walmart/oreillys, you name it, didn't have it nor could they order it.

Anyway, i found that your local carquest carries a wide variety of oils and can tell you what stores have it in stock: www.carquest.com

Also talked to these guys: http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.net/ and have two cases orderd as well.

Thanks to everyone in the threads as well as DanielC for input.

Glad you found it. I went with the VR-1 20W50, which I did found locally at Autozone. Strange that they wouldn't order the SAE 40 for you.
    1998 Ski Nautique (Red/Silver Cloud), GT-40, Perfect Pass Stargazer 8.0z (Zbox), Acme #422, Tunable Rudder.

Comment

I was able to have Orileys order the Valvoline Racing 40w. They were the only ones that could order it.

Comment

ABC auto parts in east texas carry it in stock. They have 30, 40, 50, and 20w50 on the shelf.
        2001 Super Air Nautique
        Python Powered
        100 Amp Alternator
        Dual Batteries
        Many upgrades coming...

Comment

Originally posted by bchesley
          ABC auto parts in east texas carry it in stock. They have 30, 40, 50, and 20w50 on the shelf.
          Yep, saw it there, too. The guys at the one on West 323 and the guys at the Napa on Front St really seem to know their stuff.
          1998 Ski Nautique (Red/Silver Cloud), GT-40, Perfect Pass Stargazer 8.0z (Zbox), Acme #422, Tunable Rudder.

Comment

I managed to find it in stock at O'riley's so I picked up a case for $38.

Comment

You can also get Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil at jegs.com or, if you are in central ohio, at the Jeg's High Performance stores.

Comment

Oil debates always crack me up. When I worked for Chevron and toured the oil bottling plant I saw the same oil going into blue, green, yellow, white, black, and orange bottles. They would leave the plant in bulk unmarked big lots to be labeled and reboxed elsewhere. Kind of makes you wonder how much is marketing.

Comment

Chevron may very well bottle oil for many different smaller companies, kind of like there are only a few factories actually making wakeboards, but there are many brands of wakeboards.
                  Did you ever see Chevron bottling Valvoline branded oils?
                  I do know that Zinc and Phosphorus additives are being phased out of engine oils, and you have to actively look for it.
                  If your engine has a roller camshaft in it, the ZDDP is not a critical requirement.

Comment

Working...
                  X