Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Carpet or Another Option

Hey all,

I am considering replacing the interior carpet on my 03 super air, I just cant stand the feel of the wet carpet any longer. I wanted to see if there is anyone out there that has taken out the carpet and used something else. My initial thought was to use the Nautique branded rubber skid pads that are on top of the deck and the composite swim platforms, if I am able to get this from the dealer in a roll or sheet form. If that doesnt explain it well enough you can see the material i am referring to on the back of the sundeck on new SAN 230

http://www.correctcraft.com/html/photogallerypages/230/

Ideally, I want something that will provide some sort of traction, not retain water, and be comfortable on the feet. At this point I am not sure what kind of finish out of the fiberglass would be needed on the floor before applying something else.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice!

If my memory is accurate, the swim platform material is a fairly hard, textured rubber. The texture on that material provides the grip, so it wouldn't be advisable to use a smooth surface product. But I think the problem you may run into is walking on that textured material inside the boat may prove to be tough on the feet.

Our local YMCA has an outdoor pool with a water slide and they used a similar material on the top platform where you have to wait your turn. They had to remove it because a lot of people complained that it hurt their feet. Before you install anything besides carpet, you may want to buy small sections of different material and test it on your deck or floor.
    2003 SAN (current)
    2003 Chaparral 220 SSi (sold)

Comment

Don't get my boat wet !!!!
      the WakeSlayer
      1999 Super Air - Python Powered <-- For Sale
      1968 Correct Craft Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by WakeSlayer
        Don't get my boat wet !!!!
        Slayer - you laugh but my brother has a friend that is MAJOR anal-retentive about his boat. You are instructed on where you can and can not step, if you have sunscreen on you have to put a towel down on the seat and seat backs, when getting out of the water from boarding you are required to stand on the swim platform and towel off prior to getting in the boat, no food or drinks, etc., etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for common courtesy especially in someone else's boat. but this way over the top in my opinion. Weird thing is, when he gets on my boat he doesn't follow the same rules. I keep my current boat clean and maintained, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over stuff like this.

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic reply.
        2003 SAN (current)

Comment

I was just being funny, really. Not ripping on anyone. I just don't see any way around having a wet boat.

Red, seriously ? I just would not be able to handle being in that environment. I love my boat as much or more than the next guy, but I USE my boat. It is not there to simply look good. I work my a$$ of all week long to be able to go out and relax on my boat. To be uptight about what someone does on it would defeat the purpose for me. There are a few obvious things I don't let people do, but at the end of the day it is just a boat, and water is not going to hurt it. First thing we do on a new boat is spill a little beer on the floor to get it over with.
          the WakeSlayer

Comment

I hear ya Slayer. But, I'm dead serious about this guy. That was the first and LAST time I will ever go on his boat. The whole morning I was more concerned with "following his rules" than watching the riding and socializing.

Some may gather from my screen name that I used to collect classic cars and my favorite was my triple-red 1957 Thunderbird. It was a show car when I bought it and I used to drive it around town at least once each week. The most common comment I got about it was the fact that I was an idiot for driving it. "Why don't you keep that thing in the garage?", was said more than a few times. Like all my cars I buy them to drive and enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I always parked away from other cars and I took great care of em', but let's face it. Life is too short to be that uptight. :razz:

Getting upset about a boat getting wet is, to quote Larry the Cable Guy, like wiping before you poop. It just doesn't make any sense. Yellow_Flash_Colorz:

Crowland - again, my apologies for the hijack. I have no doubt that the banter between Slayer and I is providing you no useful info. I re-read your original post and I think the big challenge will be the battle between "comfort" and "won't retain water". Anything that provides a cushion (i.e. comfort) will likely retain water (like the carpet) and will defeat the purpose. Good luck with this.
            2003 SAN (current)

Comment

i considered putting down a rubber mat (like the ones used on the floor of a weight room) those will add a good bit of weight but in a 230, u may not see much difference.

biggest problem imo, is that they only come in black (as far as i can tell)

Comment

My son's Tae Kwon Do studio has some flooring mats that I think you can get in a variety of colors. Comes in 2 foot interlocking squares. It is pretty lightweight, and I would assume would not absorb water. A friend got some fro his workout room extremely cheap, I will see if I can get the link from him. I think you would have to remove something like that so as not to get mildewed underneath.
                the WakeSlayer

Comment

Redbird and Slayer you guys are killing me with the anal retentive boat comments. I have a couple of friends that have the assigned seat rule and dont even think about having a sandal on your foot while in the boat. I actually spilled a beer in said friends boat and he asked me to pay to have it professionally detailed.
                  Back to my flooring ordeal. The main reason that I am considering this option is that we just bought a new lake house and there is some kind of crazy bio-dome effect that just doesnt allow anything to properly dry out. My wakeboard boots and jacket will still be wet after 3 weeks i ride and stored in an enclosed garage (I do take these out of the boat purposely to dry out). From talking with the neighbors it has something to do with the type of soil, humidity and excessive tree cover.
                  What I have found so far is the company SANO Sports www.sanosports.com is the manufacturer of the traction pad and they are located in Austin. I just spoke with one of the guys there and they are going to check and see if they have any additional material. He said they only sell to Correct Craft, but I might be able to drive down (I live in Dallas) and pick up some extra material they have lying around. It looks like these only come in sheets od 53"x36", and I dont want this to look like a botched job. So I am going to have to see how the seams would fit together. Here is a picture of the material.

Does anyone know whether or not the floor on the 03 super air is a finished fiberglass? The guy as SANO mentioned this would not be recommended if the floor was not smoothly finished out, and mentioned this probably why they used carpet (cheaper?). I know the new models have the snap-in/pull up carpet sections. This would also be an option if I knew that the floor was finished out.
                  Thanks again for the help everyone.

Comment

Crowland - that is very strange that stuff doesn't dry out where you are. I had to re-read your post twice to make sure I didn't miss anything. Never heard of such a thing. It gets very humid here in NC, but never had this kind of problem.

Before you go to the trouble of ripping out the carpet (and that won't be a fun job) I'd definitely recommend you take a trip to Austin and check this stuff out first hand. It just seems like it would really be tough on the feet, but you never know until you check it out.

I like Slayer's idea on the TKD flooring stuff. My old martial arts school had the same kind of stuff and it really was comfortable on the feet. It was fairly lightweight, but I don't know how it would do in a wet environment. Another option may be to look at doing snap-out carpet. At least you would be able to remove it, hang it up, and let gravity/heat do the work.

Good luck with this and keep us posted on what you do.
                    2003 SAN (current)

Comment

Crowland,
                      I bought a sheet of the light grey that you have pictured there to replace some of the black traction pads that came on my boat (99 Pro Air), and when it's right out of the box it's soft, but as soon as it gets in the sun for a while it gets harder. I don't think you would want to stand on this stuff for very long. We have some friends w/a 211 and it has the black version on a composite deck, and the transom walk through, it's ok, but no one stays on the walk through very long. You could probably match up sections of this stuff, but you would have to be very careful when seaming it together.
                      The floor in the boats with glued carpet is not finished, it's fairly smooth, but the Sano Pad will not hide any imperfections like the carpet.

BTW, Great find on the Sano Pad manufacturer! You wouldn't believe the BS the "old" CC dealer down here gave me about buying that stuff. I finally gave up and just called MWCC.

Hope that helps
                      Jack
                      2008 230 TE-ZR6
                      1999 Pro Air Python-sold and moved away :-(

Comment

Nautique has a few different walk off mats that are designed for your home, garage, or ski shop. They have one that is a 3' x 6' mat that I use in my 02 SANTE for less than a 100 my carpet looks great and I can take the mat out at the end of day to shake off and dry out. I did this versus the 300 dollar charge for a brand new carpet kit from Nautique.

Comment

here is the site the mats fro the TKD studio come from. My friend got the EVA interlocking stuff, but it is blue and red only. Maybe something else on here will work.
                          the WakeSlayer

Comment

oops....

http://www.fitnessrubber.com
                            the WakeSlayer

Comment

That stuff looks like it would work. Being closed cell foam, it won't absorb water. What you could do is use the carpet that you remove from the boat as a template. You could use Gorilla Glue to connect the multiple sections and then cut out the pattern. You would probably want to let it "float" on the floor of the boat (i.e. not glue it down), so that it would be easy to clean/replace. Also, since it is waterproof, gluing it down would block all of the drains in the floor so water would have no place to go.
                              2003 SAN (current)

Comment

Working...
                              X