New Prop and/or Tower for Pro Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Prop and/or Tower for Pro Air

I am wondering what kind of success I would have putting an acme prop on my 99 pro air nautique. Also, which model number should i look for? The second dilema i have, is how would a factory built supra breakaway tower (all aluminum supra #105173) look on the boat. I have the original flight control tower that does not hinge on the boat now and think a newer style tower would change the looks completely. I am not sold on this style tower but i was the most reasonably priced tower i came across that should fit my hull.

Please do not take this personal but why would you skimp and put a supra tower on a proair nautique. That is like putting some chevy corsica wheels on a ferrari. What is wrong with your factory tower. If anything you could sell it to someone with a sport that wants a tower and then take that money with a little more and buy you a New Dimension second generation flight control tower. If anything think about your resale value for a CC with a Supra tower.....
    2001 Super Air Nautique
    Python Powered
    100 Amp Alternator
    Dual Batteries
    Many upgrades coming...

Comment

The first gen flight control tower is a piece to be quite honest, it is merely built with lap joints out of 1.5" od aluminum. I have had some problems out of the tower because it is not stong enough to support the tower speakers i want along with board racks. It is only stong enough to pull a wakeboard really. I am trying to also upgrade to a hinging tower inorder to put the boat in my garage when needed. I like the lines of the supra tower and because i have seen one for sale i thought it might work 2 (3/8)" od. I might go for the new dimension after all, but i dont think ill be able to find an affordable nautique tower that will fit without dropping $2200 on a newdimensions.

Comment

The original towers have a market for people that want to keep a CC tower on their older boat. Andrew from this board bought my FCT Gen.1 which was in good shape and he bolted onto his 2001.

I went for the New Dimension tower for a couple of reasons, one of which was the running light mounted onto the rope spool. I purchased in the winter and save 15% which more than paid for the shipping. I also priced the CC tower and I was able to find it for a price pretty close to the ND tower.
        2008 230 TE-ZR6
        1999 Pro Air Python-sold and moved away :-(

Comment

How do you think a tower from wake designs would look, ive found one that is suppose to fit my deck. 3" o.d. tubing also...does anyone know the deminsions that i should be looking for in a tower since im replacing the gen 1 factory tower.

Comment

I spent a good 6 months looking over every tower option I could find (1999 sport nautique) and everything pointed me back to the New Dimensions FCT (2nd generation) tower. I really just wasn't in the mood to spend a lot of cash on a tower...and not be what I wanted. I believe it's a 1 5/8"...I wish it were a little bigger for more stability...but it's not like my boat is the size of the newer ones....so I probably wouldn't go over 2" but that's just my $0.02...

This was one of the others I was debating on

http://www.bigairpylons.com/Tower.htm

Good Luck

Comment

Is wake designs still around? If the one you are referring to is universal, stay away from it. Its just not very sturdy and will have substantial flex. I'll also agree with 1999. Anything over 2"" will look too big.

Comment

I think what you will find is the front to rear spacing will be different on most towers. This will help open up the driver's area as the FCT gen. 1 rear leg is right on top of the gunnel where a driver typically rests his arm while working the throttle. I was able to mount my NDT in the same footprint in the front, but I had to cover up the rear mounting holes.
                2008 230 TE-ZR6
                1999 Pro Air Python-sold and moved away :-(

Comment

I have a CC Tower in my shop that was removed from a 2000 ProAir. My buddy is never going to put it back on the boat. If you are interested, I can ask him if he would want to sell. Not sure if he would or not, he may want it for resale someday...
                  the WakeSlayer
                  1999 Super Air - Python Powered <-- For Sale
                  1968 Correct Craft Mustang

Comment

Thanks WakeSlayer My tower looks great sitting in your barn! Don't ya think?? I think i am going to keep that bad boy for resale
                    98' Sport Nautique

Comment

i just talked to the folks at acme again about a new prop for my 98 and it sounds like the 470 3 bld. is the best for our boats,or if you're running a fair amount of ballast in your pro air the 422 4bld. may suite you better.
                      98 sport gt-40
                      buying stuff i don\'t need to impress people i don\'t know with money i don\'t have

Comment

Working...
                      X