2001 SAN long term storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 SAN long term storage

I have a 2001 SAN and keep it in the garage from October until May. I do not need to worry about freezing temps. My question is do I need to drain the water out of the engine or can I just leave it. I do put stable in the gas tank but that is about it. Will leaving the water in the engine during the off months damage it?

RE: 2001 SAN long term storage

Personnaly I would still winterize it because you still have to worry about scaling when the water evaporates in the block and manifolds, some disagree but I feel you should always fill with antifreeze for protection after draining the block. The cylinder walls need a shot of fogging oil also or you'll possibly get some rust or corrosion from condensation. Winterizing is for more than freezing, it is for lay ups also.

Comment

exactly what he said.....
      2001 Super Air Nautique
      Python Powered
      100 Amp Alternator
      Dual Batteries
      Many upgrades coming...

Comment

FClerik,

These guys are probably right. But, I live in the Bay Area, not far from you. In my 44 years, we've never winterized a boat. I live in a boating community and none of my neighbors winterize either.

However, I'm surprised that in Reno you don't have to worry about the cold. In fact, I thought it was in the teens up there today.

BKH
        2001 Super Air

Comment

I am shocked you don't winterize while living in Reno. I know Truckee is a lot colder than Reno but I had a boat in my garage that froze up, the engine had to totally be replaced. The cost of winterizing verus the cost of the new engine....you be the judge. I have winterized my boat while it was stored in the Bay Area in the past. Even if it was just a simple fogging, fuel stabalizer etc.

Comment

Your right the temps in Reno do get below freezing. I keep the boat in my garage all winter and the garage is heated so it never falls below 60.

Comment

Working...
            X