Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating Built-in Cooler on 2007 SV211

Cooler Insulating Procedures

Insulating procedures for the Built-in cooler on a 2007 SV211.

Materials Used:

(12) 16oz Cans of Great Stuff - Big Gap Filer
    5/16" Rubber Tubing
    Metal Coat Hanger
    Duck Tape
    Flash Light
    Cardboard

First removed the Glove/storage box behind the drivers seat. You will have to disconnect the LED Light. This will give you access to the front and sides of the cooler. You will also have to remove the carpet panels in the starboard back locker next to the second battery. Cut a portion of the rubber tubing 18"-24" and connect to the spray tube on the can of Great Stuff. Straighten the metal coat hanger and tape to the tubing. We started with the bottom and sprayed until it expanded beyond the sides. We then moved to the outside wall, then the back, then the inside wall, and finally, the front, closest to the driver seat. I used a piece of cardboard to form the foam. The negative of using cardboard is that the foam sticks to the cardboard. Allowed at least 2 days to completely cure. Removed most of the cardboard and re-installed the panels and glove box. Do not forget to re-connect the light. It is winter so we have not tested but it has to hold ice longer than it did before.

Total cost is around $90.00. 2-4 hour job with two people.

I plan on sending this to the head of quality control in Orlando so hopefully they will take care of this issue during the boat build.

Please send me a message if you have any questions.

I tried to embed photos here with the img tags but couldn't get it to work. Here's a link to the album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/charlesml33/SV211

It's also a good idea to have plenty of paper towels handy and a bottle of Acetone. Great Stuff works like a champ, but it's really sticky before it sets.

Comment

I know in the middle of winter this may be a stupid question but did it help? I currently use an insulated bag for ice. I had a friend buy a Malibu and their boat came with a customized bag that fit in their ice chest. They can pull it out for lunch on shore.

Comment

I have not had a chance to test. I am in North Carolina and the boat is in a building. I did inspect the coverage and it looks like the Great Stuff did what is was designed to do. It has to help. I have read posts from other that said that this procedure made all the difference. One even said that he could keep ice for two days. Before, we could not even make it 4 hours.

Thank you for the reply and hope to test soon.

Comment

It's messier to work with, and itches like mad, but fiberglass batts would probably work as well, and might be a whole lot cheaper. For those of us in the north with heaters in the boat, remember your heater is back there, and this mod would cement the heater hoses in place.

Cool mod. I dislike the built-in cooler actually, a storage compartment would have made me happier. All I ever seem to keep in there is my fat-sac pump.
          2001 Ski Nautique / 2007 SV211 TE (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Funny,

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. When I go camping for the weekend the boat cooler is my primary cooler for all the beverages. I only bring a small extra cooler for meal fixins. I may do the mod just to make the cooler stronger and quieter. When I am running to get ready I often rip open the end of the 12 pack and dump the cans right in the cooler. It would be nice if it didn't sound like a drum when the cans hit the bottom of the empty cooler.

Comment

Insulating Built-in Cooler on 2007 SV211

Eventhough we have not tested the insulation differences, I would have to admit that the cooler is solid and now is supported by the foam. I felt the same way as MikeSki. The cooler needed support and if you dropped something heavy into the cooler, it could have cracked the Gelcoat.

Thanks for the response.

Ron Naise, the Quality Control manager for Correct Craft, has sent the post to his designers and engineers for review.

Comment

Did you just spray the bottom of the cooler or did you spray up the sides. Looking at the picture I just see the bottom insulated. Let me know as I might do this as well on my 06.

Thanks,
                Mike
                '06 SANTE210 - Current Boat
                '06 SV211 TE - Old Boat
                '04 Ski Nautique 196 - Old Boat

Comment

We insulated the ENTIRE cooler. Sides, bottom, front and back. There's a clearly visible "lip" you can see where the cooler stops and the seat fiberglass mold begins. There is a couple of inches of foam insulation anywhere that'll be holding ice. The side between the cooler and the side of the boat has more like 4 inches!

-Charles

Comment

I was wondering if there was a report as to the effectiveness of this insulation. This year we have started to use the "ice chest" and the ice goes fast. post how it worked.

Comment

Working...
                    X