1995 Ski Nautique engine leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Ski Nautique engine leaking

The leaking is not nearly as bad as the picture. There were two small pinhole water leaks in the engine block and I tried to patch with JB Weld. It kind of ran down the side but it still has a small leak.

What do you suggest I do - open it up and completely repair?

RE: 1995 Ski Nautique engine leaking

Looks to me as if your exhaust manifolds are cracked and need replacing. Does your engine run good, any over-heating? Does it have closed Fresh water cooling?

Comment

Can you get the plugs out. Looks like that is going to be painful.

Comment

Lets see a pic of both sides of the manifolds. Im betting the leak is coming from the riser gasket.

If Im wrong and there really are pinholes in the block, can you show us where? Do you run in salt?
        1990 Ski Nautique
        NWCT

Comment

No more pics, but...

Let me answer the questions

No, I don't run in salt water
          It is fresh water cooled.
          No, it has not overheated at all.

I have not tried to get the spark plugs out but I am sure I can.

I was hoping it was the gaskets but there were small pinhole leaks.

What is the best way to fix now?

Comment

RE: No more pics, but...

Id still like to see pics of the pinholes. If theyre in the block, Im not sure you have any other choice but to get a new one.
            1990 Ski Nautique
            NWCT

Comment

RE: No more pics, but...

You should first determine if your laek is fresh water/coolant from the cooling system or water from the lake. Looks at the rusty water marks water is leaking from above, likely the riser gasket in which case that is raw water from the lake. If the leak is from your coolant from these pin holes which you seem to have identified, is it the head or the block? You could remove all spark plugs and check there is no water in the bore when you turn the engine over. These pin holes suggest worse damage behind the pinhole, so could be new heads or worst case a new block. Photo showing the pin holes would help us. Good Luck and keep posting..

Comment

I had the same issue on my 88ski. Turned out to be a cracked head. If you take a wire brush and clean the head just below were the exhaust manifold connect you will see a hair line crack. You will be able to feel it with your fingernail. I found a set of used heads on ebay off a 92 ski in the spring that I put on and problem solved.

Comment

yep those heads crack there all the time. all the ones i have fixed were in the 7-800 hr range. how many hrs you got on that thing?

Comment

Originally posted by boatech
                    yep those heads crack there all the time. all the ones i have fixed were in the 7-800 hr range. how many hrs you got on that thing?
                    BS. You dont even know which heads he has (E7 or GT40).

I know many people running both, and dont know of a single one with a cracked head.

Im not claiming it couldnt be the problem, but that is a ridiculous, ignorant statement.
                    1990 Ski Nautique
                    NWCT

Comment

Originally posted by TRBenj
                      Im not claiming it couldnt be the problem, but that is a ridiculous, ignorant statement.
                      Yellow_Flash_Colorz: LOL
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      2000 Ski Nautique GT-40
                      2016 SN 200 H5
                      www.Fifteenoff.com

Comment

GT 40

The engine is a GT 40.

The pin hole leaks were spurting out very hot water.

That's about all I know.

Thanks for the input - keep it coming!

Comment

RE: GT 40

are you guys blind or what, replace the exhaust manifolds look how bad the runners are, it's not the block leaking its the exhaust.

Comment

**Post deleted by Admin**

Please review the PlanetNautique terms of use that all members agree to follow before registration is granted.

Comment

I think you'll find the water jacket does not extend into the exhaust runners. BadgerNautique, can you submit a photo highlighting the pin-holes, that way we'll have a better idea where the problem is.

Comment

Working...
                              X