Transmission color & vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission color & vibration

I am looking at buying a 2000 Sport 5.7L, when looking over the fluids I notices a white to cream color fluid in the transmission. is this color normal? on the label it requires Dextron III which is red. I was able to keep the boat for the weekend for a couple of test runs. I noticed a lot of vibration in the 20's-30's mph range then would lesson around 35-40 mph. would this relate?

RE: Transmission color & vibration

That suggest water has intruded into the transmission. The vibration may be related to the tranny, but more likely it's the prop or the strut bushing. There should be no vibration at all. I'd have the boat checked by a marine mechanic--especially the tranny. Water in the transmission would make me worry. There are lots of boats out there for sale, this may not be the right one.

Comment

RE: Transmission color & vibration

Vibration likely from the prop & or shaft.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. In doing some further investigation the prop I found out to be a fresh rebuilt. Is the Strut Bushing a common problem or should they last a while? Any ideas of how water can get into the transmission? if so could it be just a gasket or could ti be more serious?

Comment

you need to suck out the fluid and flush it like 5 times
          the vibration is a shaft aliment time

if he has a new prop, i bet the shaft is bent

HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED

CERTIFIED MARINE/PWC TECHNICIAN
          switchbait.com

Comment

Working...
          X