No announcement yet.

GT-40 shutting down without warning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT-40 shutting down without warning...

I have a '97 Sport Nautique with the GT-40 engine. After sitting for about 9 months I had some difficulty getting it to start. About 10 separate cranking attempts. Once started it would idle fine and then suddenly I would hear a hiss and it would stop. Cranks right back up and idles for a while and then idle would get a bit slower, hiss, surge and then run smoothly for a bit and then hiss and shut down. Running tach up a bit to around 1200 it would run fine and then hiss and shut off. Engine only has about 70 hours and is used very little. I had stabil in the fuel, fresh oil. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I plan to use it more this summer and want it to be reliable. Thanks, Rob

RE: GT-40 shutting down without warning...

Two screws up on top should be the TPS (throttle position sensor)...mine went out and the boat wouldn't hold idle unless I revved it and engaging into gear would almost always kill it. They are about $50. This will tell the computer what mode the motor is in and adjust fuel accordingly.

If you have a volt meter make sure that the voltage is linear from 0 to 5 volts. There is a section in the manual you can download from this site that will help with troubleshooting. But in short...easiest way to check this is to do a "key on engine off" test and have someone move the shifter from nuetral all the way to full throttle while you are checking voltage at the TPS...hopefully this helps anyone else with the problem.

Also...the TPS can be adjusted when installing it and will change your idle...as you're not supposed to mess with the idle screw.

It looks like the one on the right:

If this doesn't solve your problem, a few other options would be to check fuel pressure at the fuel rail and/ or check your relays on the back of the motor (however, if the engine isn't even getting warm before dying, I doubt this is the problem)

Comment

i would plug it into a computer first
      spending $ on good parts is a waste of $$$

HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED

CERTIFIED MARINE/PWC TECHNICIAN
      switchbait.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions...I will give it another try this weekend.

Comment

Working...
        X