Trailer wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer wiring

I have an 01 tahoe pulling my 206 on an EZ-loader trailer with brakes. my problem is when I back-up the brakes lock up. i've been told I need to have power going to a wire when i'm in reverse. if this is true does anyone know which wire needs the power and where i can take it from on the vehicle? the vehicle has a standard 7-way plug and i convert to a flat 5-way plug. thanks for the help in advance. i know there are alot of really smart boat lovers on this forum.

RE: Trailer wiring

there should be a way to lock the tongue into an open position so it does not slide in engaging the breaks. Mine has a handle you can flip up to lock it and it also has a slot where you can put a pen or bolt in it to keep it from engaging the breaks

Comment

RE: Trailer wiring

A prewired factory adapter is available to convert 7-round to 5-flat. If you are making your own, use the backup (reverse) light post on the 7 prong plug and connect it to the 5th wire on the 5-flat. When you put the vehicle in reverse, this will energize the solenoid on the trailer and release the brakes.
      2010 SN 200 Team, Washington Promo Team

Comment

promoted, i am using a purchase convesion plug. your info is exactly what i am looking for but do you happen to know the color the wires are? the fith wire on the trailer harness and which wire from the 7-way on vehicle pins to the fifth on the trailer harness?

Comment

My connector is at home so I will need to check the colors and reply back later. Perhaps one of the other boat lovers can take a quick look at theirs and respond sooner.
          2010 SN 200 Team, Washington Promo Team

Comment

On my truck the factory installed 7 pin round connector has the reverse lights bound to the center prong, my original trailer wiring harness (flat 5 pin) had the pink wire for the reverse lights, though often times the wire coming from the solenoid is blue. Easiest thing to do is buy a multimeter from home depot and have some else put the in reverse so you can figure it out for sure. White is ground, black is constant power, yellow, green, brown are for the stop, turn and running lights.

If you have truck in reverse and you connect the wiring harness you should hear the soleniod "click" if its wired correctly. I went through the same process as you when I switched my brakes from drum to disk and had to rewire it so the soleniod would work. I actually bought a 7 pin round connector for the trailer side with 4 feet of whip which makes it nice and clean.

Hope this helps,

jmo
            2018 Ski Nautique 200 TE, H6
            - 2006 Ski Nautique 196 LE, Excalibur 330
            - 2001 Super Sport Nautique, GT40

Comment

Here is a guide to wire color and pin position http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx good luck
              Nautiqueless in San Diego

Comment

Somebody put that link for trailer wiring in the downloads section.........PLEASE
                Christopher W. Becker
                9323 Mockingbird Ln
                Saline, MI 48176

cwbecker@umich.edu

Comment

Working...
                X