difficulty steering when under a load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difficulty steering when under a load

I have a 96 sport nautiqe and i am experiencing difficulty when turning left between 15-30 mph (must use two hands to turn). I have reviewed all posted topics and found some info to be helpful. I have disassembled back end of the boat and have removed the complete rudder assy. Are we suppose to sand down the rudder, if so what grit? There is no zerk fitting, do we use a marine grease and reinstall? When we go to reinstall do we use a different kind of grease or paste to keep water from intruding? Any help in these areas would be greatly appreciated.

RE: difficulty steering when under a load

Mercury Marine makes a grease with Teflon in it, I believe it is called 2-4-C, and you can get it in a 10 oz tube. I have pulled my rudder, cleaned it, greased it with this lube, and that seems to help.
    I would try to use a solvent cleaning method before sanding the rudder shaft.
    The cable might be going bad, too. You can also try to clean the part of the cable in the bilge, that telescopes onto itself. Mark everything so you can put it back together again. After you are done, you can take the center nut off the steering wheel shaft and re index the steering wheel.

Comment

Did you see how easy it was to turn the rudder by hand when you disconnected the steering cable? It should move very freely (pinky finger easy). If not, i would smooth the shaft and replace the packing and retry. If it already moves easily, I would suspect the steering cable.

I would not grease the rudder port.
      1990 Ski Nautique
      NWCT

Comment

Hmmm... that's a good question Maynards.... I think, from what you are saying, that maybe it's an operator error. Have you tried working out? That might make it easier to turn if you weren't such a sissy? Hahahaa (This is my good buddy I referred here, for the vast and endless knowledge this site always yeilds...) Let me know if you need an extra hand when you decide what route to take, and WELCOME!!!
        That does make sense that it's probably not the cable since it's only hard to turn under load, though... Good idea-r on disconnecting the cable, and take it out of the equation.. I'll see what I can find out.
        Travis Fling
        Choctaw Lake
        Current - 1989 Ski Nautique 2001

Comment

Also, have you checked the rudder/prop alignment? It might be off a little causing a harder wash on one side than the other, which would make sense that it only happens under load, and only when you're moving at higher speeds?
          Travis Fling
          Choctaw Lake
          Current - 1989 Ski Nautique 2001

Comment

Working...
          X