bad prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad prop?

Last night I put my 2000 pro air in for the first time of the year, I had a put a refurbished acme 422 on it this spring. There is a slight whistle sound now coming from the rear of the boat when in gear from about 800rpm to about 1200rpm and my top end is only about 41, when last year I was running 43-44 with the std oj and a friends 422. There is not a lot of vibration and all other things I know to check are normal, trany fluid, oil, engine temp etc. Any thoughts??
    98' Sport Nautique

RE: bad prop?

My friend had the same thing happen on his malibu vlx. When he took it to get it serviced he told them about the noise and about the prop change. They said there was some bolts that were not tight around the drive shaft I think (can't remember what he said, I will find out for sure). They said this probably happend from knocking around when installing the new prop. As a result the vibrations of the of the loose bolts caused the whistle.

Comment

RE: bad prop?

I have three props for my 211. I can't remember the numbers but they are all ACME. Each one sounds different. There is a drastic difference between the stock prop (very quite) and the power prop which is very noisy.

Comment

what is the WOT
        speed is no matter here

HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED

CERTIFIED MARINE/PWC TECHNICIAN
        switchbait.com

Comment

I have had 5 props on my boat, one of the refurbished. I will never run a refurb prop again. It made a growling noise and performed very poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by JUST-IN-TIME
            what is the WOT
            speed is no matter here
            Well, top speed certainly is important- knowing both that and the WOT RPM would go a long ways towards diagnosing the problem.
            1990 Ski Nautique
            NWCT

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys...I am going to run my OJ this weekend which should run just fine and eliminate any issues with anything but the prop. I also spoke to Jim at ACME and he seemed pretty confident that the sound was a prop issue and basically said the leading edge of the blade was too thick. I sent it back to the people who refurb'd it and with my fingers crossed it should be fine...I will keep ya posted. Ya...going forward, I will prob stick to brand new props.
              98' Sport Nautique

Comment

I have an OJ that sings at low rpm. I ran a different prop and eliminated any driveline possiblilites. I have heard of several people haveing props that make noise at low rpm.
                2005 Ski Nautique 206 SE, Acme 422, PP SG 8.0, ND Tower
                2011 strada with strada bindings

Prior Boats:
                1986 Sunbird skier with 150 Evinrude VRO
                1992 Mastercraft prostar 190, with Powerslot
                1999 Ski Nautique GT-40
                1999 Sport Nautique, GT-40 FCT,

www.skiersofknoxville.org

Comment

I got my acme 422 back again. The prop was perfect. I guess the method they use to polish the refurbished props can round the leading edge, which causes the "signing". They filed the leading edge of the prop blades and now its gone.
                  98' Sport Nautique

Comment

Working...
                  X