replacing sundeck on SAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing sundeck on SAN

Is it possible to upgrade the one piece sundeck on a 2000 san to the 2 piece on the 2001?

RE: replacing sundeck on SAN

You mean a 3 piece on the 2001, correct? As for changing it, I'm sure that you probably could; however, I would imagine that it would cost a pretty penny (i.e. hinges, latches, panels, and new upholstery).
    2001 Air Nautique

Comment

seven20,

Just to give you some idea of the cost, I am about to replace only the skins on my 03 SAN and the qoute from the dealer are as follows:
      Center: $165
      Starboard & Port: $130 each
      I would think it would be double the cost if not more with the complete fiberglass panels and foam. Hope that helps...
      Also, I am not too familiar with the layout of the 2000 SAN, does it have the support braces on both side of the engine? They would have to be the exact same size in order for the factory latches and panels to fit properly.

Comment

Hayes, yes I meant 3 it was a 'clerical' error...haha

crowland, the upholstery I am not worried about I have a great connection at a place the does factory quality upholstery work, it is basically if it can happen. The 2000 has the one piece with a power hydrolic lift on it. I would rather have the other personally. I have found a great deal on a 2000 and am going to try to seal the deal in the next few weeks. The biggest issue is with the power lift, if the batteries go dead they are a pain to get out. The 2001 cured that with the 3 piecer. I guess after I get the boat, and get the ballast install then maybe in the future I will worry about it. It is just hard to pass on a boat with 150 hours

Comment

I think you would be happy with the conversion if you could make it happen. I upgraded to my current boat from an i/o that had a one piece rear hatch and it actually took me awhile to get used to concept of putting gear in the back lockers because it was such a pain to open, but I now use them religiously. One additional thing that you might want to consider is whether to go with the push button hatch releases, which they discontinued after the '03 210. I am assuming that you can still but these from CC. I absolutely love mine because each side hatch has 2 switches, one in the boat and then one you access from the platform. I dont know how other people feel about the newer style latches, but if you are will to cut a couple extra holes for the releases and run the electricity I feel they are worth their weight in gold.

Comment

Re: RE: replacing sundeck on SAN

Originally posted by seven20
            The biggest issue is with the power lift, if the batteries go dead they are a pain to get out.
            The one complaint I do have is the hydraulic shocks on the center hatch. They were poorly designed on the '03 and the ends of the shocks routinely pop out of the housing, causing the entire hatch to close on you when it is in the upright position. Not fun while trying to work on the engine. I have the scars to prove it!!

Comment

RE: Re: RE: replacing sundeck on SAN

I've seen this done before...
              As I recall correctly he got the original skins and just cut the original 1 piece hatch into 3 pieces. He even reused the foam. The only things he ordered where the hinges, shocks, locks and the upholstery. It wasn't to expensive if I recall.. Post some pics when you are doing it!
              230 with ZR6 running on propane

Comment

I have been researching this over the past year. I posted a thread about it before, but didn't get much help.

If you have a 95-00 SAN or SSN you should in theory be able to use the 01 parts to bolt right up. In 2002 they changed the top deck. don't forget that you'll need the supports that run along the motor box to support weight on the hatches with the 3 piece.

I'm going to call the marina that I want to put together a quote for me on this. While trailering my boat my 1 piece rear hatch flew open and destroyed my hatch. If I'm going to replace that, I'm doing the 3 piece conversion.

If anyone with an '01 SAN could really document their hatch area with pictures it'd really help me put together a few of my missing pieces to this puzzle.

Comment

I would like to see this done.
                  Photo Album
                  Ballast Install 1
                  Ballast Install 2
                  Amp Install
                  PPass Install
                  Alternator Install

Comment

Does anyone know of a dealer in the Northern Illinois region that would be comfortable with helping me acquire these parts? the first dealer I have contacted is not helping.

Comment

Working...
                    X