Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are raw water pumps self priming (2001 SAN)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are raw water pumps self priming (2001 SAN)?

Is the raw water pump on a 2001 SAN self priming? I replaced my impellar and can not get it to suck water out of the lake. However, when I connect it to a water hose, it works fine. I checked for air leaks and can't seem to find any. Any solutions?

RE: Are raw water pumps self priming (2001 SAN)?

Maybe you have the impeller in backwards?

I changed my '06 impeller yesterday...it self primed immediatly. I also soaped it up with ivory so it would be lubricated until the water showed.

AirTool

Comment

Check the strainer o-ring for leaks...

Comment

did you use lube/grease on impeller?

Comment

As long as the impeller has all of its blades it should be self priming. Check the key is in the slot that the impellar slides onto. Also check for air leaks in the hoses or strainer below the pump. I have seen in a very rare instance that the bonding between the ruber and brass has failed. I would try another impeller if there are no air leaks and the pump was reinstalled right.
          Nautiqueless in San Diego

Comment

There is a lot of hose between the raw water pump, and the hull intake fitting on a super air. There is also a shut off valve. The water has to be drawn through the hull fitting, the strainer, the transmission oil cooler, the v-drive oil cooler, and all the hoses and fittings that hook all that stuff up. Any of the fittings, hoses, ETC. could leak air.
            Because of the length of the hose and equiptment, any air leaks will make it a long time for the raw water pump to get water.
            See this thread:
            http://planetnautique.com/index.php?...amp;highlight=
            You can use the flushing adapter to pressurize the water system. It is easier to find a leak in the hoses and fittings when you are looking for water leaking out, rather than trying to find air leaking in.
            One place I would check first is the sealing on the plastic fittings on the water strainer. I have seen several that leaked air, or water under pressure.

Comment

Sometimes it just needs a little help, just taking the hose off that's right above the pump and pouring water in, reconnecting, running the engine again for a second, repeat, then it will work fine... that's my experience anyway.
              How 'bout a little reverse action...

Comment

Working...
              X