anyone tow with a 4runner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone tow with a 4runner?

well with the cost of diesel already over 4 bucks here,i'm thinking about picking a up another 3rd gen.(96-03) 4runner for driving in the evenings and weekends.i was curious though if anyone here has towed their ntqs. with one.i had a 97 a few years ago and it was a great weekend driver.towed a 2000lb plus bike trailer almost every weekend and it always did great,the 3.4 6 cyl.was pretty impressive.only thing i changed was the famous rear end sag that all those 4runners and tacomas have.anyways would be towing a 98 sport about 30 miles.i know its not even gonna be close to my current rig,2003 f350- 7.3 pwrstrk,6 spd,chipped,cold air,exhaust,and a few more goodies :mrgreen: ,but at $4.25 a gallon somethings gotta give.
    98 sport gt-40
    buying stuff i don\'t need to impress people i don\'t know with money i don\'t have

RE: anyone tow with a 4runner?

I tow a 03 SANTE with an 06 tacoma v6 and it does fine. I have a tandem axle trailer and it pulls better than my malibu on a single axle that I had

Comment

I haved towed my 99 sport with my wifes 01 4runner, it does ok, not great but it will do. Just avoid the big hills and try not to have to stop to quickly.
      2005 Ski Nautique 206 SE, Acme 422, PP SG 8.0, ND Tower
      2011 strada with strada bindings

Prior Boats:
      1986 Sunbird skier with 150 Evinrude VRO
      1992 Mastercraft prostar 190, with Powerslot
      1999 Ski Nautique GT-40
      1999 Sport Nautique, GT-40 FCT,

www.skiersofknoxville.org

Comment

I tow a 1998 SNCB with a 1996 tacoma with the 3.4L V6.
        I don't tow it very often because my boat is in a marina, but it takes care of the job when I need to tow.
        You need a class 3 receiver hitch installed and then the tacoma is rated to tow up to 5000#. I assume the 4runner with the class 3 can handle as much.
        The 3.4L is a good engine. A lot more grunt than the 3.0 it replaced.

Comment

thanks everyone once again for such quick responses,i think i'm gonna call the guy this morning and put a deposit on it.i was thinking the same thing since the tacomas have a 5000lb capacity...they'll tow it,but i wouldn't make a habit of doing it all the time or for any real long distance.
          98 sport gt-40
          buying stuff i don\'t need to impress people i don\'t know with money i don\'t have

Comment

I towed with a 99 'Runner for 3 seasons, heavily. It does a fine job, although it's not going to win any speed contests while towing. Be sure to turn overdrive off. I also added an auxiliary trans cooler (about 50 bucks from Napa).
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            2000 Ski Nautique GT-40
            2016 SN 200 H5
            www.Fifteenoff.com

Comment

for what its worth,
              i have a 2006 v8 4runner and it tows my super sport like a champ. i prefer it over my fathers Z71 which has a much bigger engine, just my prefernce.

the difference in mpg btw the 6 and 8 4 runners(we have both 6 and 8 2006 models) is about 3-4. 6 gets around 20-21 in the city and about 22-24 on the highway. 8 cyc get 17 min-19 max city and 20-21. i guess what im saying is if the diff in mpg doesnt bother you, go for the 8. now that i reread you post, i dont know if they made the 8's back then. i also only have the limited slip, no 4x4 and have NEVER spun the tires on the ramp.

Comment

I have been towing my previous 89 2001 and current 05 SANTE with a 4 Runner since 03 and have never had the slightest problem. I only need to tow roughly 5-10 miles each way, but I have needed to tow longer distances when I take it for service without a single issue. I do have the V8 4x4 so I can't give you any advice on a v6. You won't be sorry...

Comment

We have a 2005 V8 4Runner and towed our SN196 on a single axle trailer w/ surge brakes with no problem 300miles through the mountains in PA between Frederick, MD and Erie PA. Never had a problem other than the tongue weight compressed rear suspension a little more than I would like but was tolerable.

We are picking up a new SAN220 next week and it is on a double axle trailer w/ dual disk brakes. I am starting to have some second thoughts about the 4Runners abillity to tow. I do not think power is going to be a problem and tongue weight, I believe is going to be less, than our SN196 single axle setup. My biggest concern is 5500# of boat and trailer behind a 4900# vehicle. It should be interesting.
                  2007 Super Air Nautique 220 TE - Current Boat
                  2005 Ski Nautique 196 Ltd - Previous Boat
                  1984 Ski Nautique 2001 - First Nautique

Comment

That's interesting.
                    How do you go from a SN196 to a SAN220?
                    Somebody in that family will be happy and somebody not so much.

Comment

Guys, he's asking about the 3rd-gen (96-02) 4 Runners specifically. The newer 'Runners are great, I have one, but it's OT.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      2000 Ski Nautique GT-40
                      2016 SN 200 H5
                      www.Fifteenoff.com

Comment

I had a 2000 TRD supercharged and it pulled great. My 98 3.4L 4x4 was okay. It did the job. Try to steal an 05 Tacoma with the 4.0L. That was my last tow vehicle (06 PreRunner DCab) and it was stout. Toyota definitely makes some great products.

Comment

i agree about the newer 4runners and tacomas,but i'm looking in the 10k and under range,plus i'm very familiar with the 3.4 sixes.if money were no problem though i'd probably have a new turbo 6spd. fj sitting in my garage to keep my 79 fj40 company. :mrgreen:
                          98 sport gt-40

Comment

I had a 97 4Runner with the 3.4 6cyl. Like M3Fan mentioned, it did fine but wouldn't win any races. Mine was 5spd and I'd highly suggest against it as 1st and 2nd gear were too tall. Towing our PS190 req'd you to slip the clutch pretty good just to get going. I had a loaner with an Auto for a weekend and it was much better when taking off, once above 30mph or so they were very similar.

Comment

I towed my 211 with a '99 4Runner (3.0 liter engine/auto transmission). The 4Runner will do the job but driving on the freeway is friggin' scary. Maybe because of the vehicle weight or wheelbase, I'm not sure, but the trailer was always all over the road. Every drive was a "white-knuckler" with both hands firmly on the wheel. I wouldn't even listen to the radio when towing...that stressful.

Comment

Working...
                              X