Fuel cell filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel cell filter

I ordered a new gas filter for my "03"196 SE and am going to change it. Would like to know if there are any tricks and things that I should be carful of when I do this. I first time doing things like this worry me. I don't like surprises :o thanks for the help.
    \"03\" ski 196 SE (for course use) current boat
    \"97\" tige\' 2150 (for wakebording) current boat
    \"72\" pontoon ( installing portable course) current boat

RE: Fuel cell filter

You need a good oil filter wrench, the cannister will be tight. I also have had to push on the cannister at the bottom to counteract the pull I was putting on the cannister with the oil filter wrench. I used my foot for that. Be thankful you do not have a V-drive. Put some grease on the "O" ring and threads when you put it back together.

Comment

Good freakin' luck, that things is such a b*tch. You might find it easier to just take it off and work on it in a vice.
      How 'bout a little reverse action...

Comment

Carefull with the big o-ring, renew every time. Mine came out split.
        Lack of space for the wrench.

Comment

When you get it off, there will likely be sediment in the bottom of the canister - DO NOT take the fitting off the bottom of the canister to make it easier to clean out the crud. I did this to mine and when I put it back together it leaked. The fitting that the drain plug screws into has a rubber seal on the inside part of the fitting and if that seal is broken you'll have to replace it. See attached picture for the new one that I'll be installing before I get to hit the water for the first time this year.

Comment

I got a strap wrenh at autozone. The strap is seat belt width and material. It attaches to a 1/2 socket wrench.
            Current
            2003 SkiNautique 206 LE Yellow - Black - Silver Cloud

Previous Fleet
            2006 Ski Nautique 196 SE Titanium - Black- Silver Cloud
            2004 Ski Nautique 206 LE Red - Black - Silver Cloud
            1993 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 190 Red

Comment

Boy, thanks for all the hints, you can be sure that if it can happen, it will happen to me.

Comment

Well finally got the parts and did the work today. Man I don't think that the filter had ever been changed. Had the us a pipe wrench on the canister couldn't get loose with oil filter wrenchs (3) differant ones I tried. It's never easy for me. Changed the impeller too. It wasn't to bad with the canister out of the way. I was told that it was changed last spring before I got the boat>NOT<had started to brake down. One paddle gone and another two spilt. So just like the tige' a new one for it every spring. Thanks again for the hints and advise.

Comment

always a good idea to change the impeller every year. cheap insurance! Maybe the fuel cell should be spun off one a year, too, so it stays better lubricated? I've never had an easy one...
                  How 'bout a little reverse action...

Comment

I changed the impeller on my 06 5.7 today. It was simple and fast. You could do it in the parking lot if you had to. I think the impeller was about 25 bucks or so...can't remember.

tools = 15 mm to pull back the idler and remove the belt, 10 mm hex socket with short extension to get through pulley...not to long or you hit the clamshell, and a tad of grease for the o-ring.

Also, turn the pulley as you remove it and the impeller comes out with it. I couldn't pull it out with my finger...so I put the pully/shaft back in....slowly rotated and pulled the pulley/shaft out at a slight angle....the impeller came right out.

torque on the three small bolts is 9 foot pounds (108 inch pounds).

AirTool

Comment

Working...
                    X